How to select the perfect rug...it's easier than you think!
How did they find the perfect rug? Was is luck or hours upon hours of searching?
Honestly it's a little of both.
Now lets dig into the selection process...
Which room is the rug going in? Why is that so important you ask?? Well, you shop for rugs differently based on which room they are going to go in.
Let's start with the Dinette/Dining Room...
When placing a rug under a table it is essential to ensure that the rug is large enough not only to fit all four legs of the chairs while tucked in around the table but also to have enough space for all the 4 legs to be on the rug while you pull the chairs out. This is so that the leg doesn't get caught on the edge of the rug when you are scooting up to enjoy that great meal.
Placing any Rug should leave a sufficient border showing up about 18” to 24” of the floor. Larger Rugs always make the room look better (No fixed rule).
- While buying a Rug to place it under the kitchen table or a formal dining table, it is essential to ensure that the Rug is large enough not only to fit in the four legs of the table but also have enough space for all the 4 legs to be on the rug while you even pull the chairs out.
Here’s what experts suggest about different rooms.
Dining Room Setting
The image on the left indicates the correct dimension of the Rug and the one on the right shows the Rug is too small.
A rug can be placed either in front of the bed or under the bed.
- An alternative approach is to choose the Rug that is in contrast with the existing furniture and style. Also, decide the mood setting you would want to achieve (Formal/Casual).
The Rug here is chosen in contrast with the furniture.
- Handmade Rugs have standard dimensions. You might have to be flexible enough to adjust accordingly in order to find a closest match that fits your space.
- Determine if it’s a heavy traffic area and the amount of lighting you have.
- The most ideal way for selecting is the Floor-to-Furniture approach (Start with a Rug and then pick the color of the furniture).
The Oriental Rug Palace will be delighted to do the leg work and shall have the options ready for you if you email them or bring the photos of your room and furniture or you can even call them prior to your visit.
- Asha Agarwal