Rug vs. Fido 0Has Fido has nibbled on your rug? Oriental Rug Palace has experience making repairs.
How to select the perfect rug...it's easier than you think! 4
How did they find the perfect rug? Was is luck or hours upon hours of searching?
Honestly it's a little of both.
Now lets dig into the selection process...
Which room is the rug going in? Why is that so important you ask?? Well, you shop for rugs differently based on which room they are going to go in.
Let's start with the Dinette/Dining Room...
When placing a rug under a table it is essential to ensure that the rug is large enough not only to fit all four legs of the chairs while tucked in around the table but also to have enough space for all the 4 legs to be on the rug while you pull the chairs out. This is so that the leg doesn't get caught on the edge of the rug when you are scooting up to enjoy that great meal.
Placing any Rug should leave a sufficient border showing up about 18” to 24” of the floor. Larger Rugs always make the room look better (No fixed rule).
- While buying a Rug to place it under the kitchen table or a formal dining table, it is essential to ensure that the Rug is large enough not only to fit in the four legs of the table but also have enough space for all the 4 legs to be on the rug while you even pull the chairs out.
Here’s what experts suggest about different rooms.
Dining Room Setting
The image on the left indicates the correct dimension of the Rug and the one on the right shows the Rug is too small.
A rug can be placed either in front of the bed or under the bed.
- An alternative approach is to choose the Rug that is in contrast with the existing furniture and style. Also, decide the mood setting you would want to achieve (Formal/Casual).
The Rug here is chosen in contrast with the furniture.
- Handmade Rugs have standard dimensions. You might have to be flexible enough to adjust accordingly in order to find a closest match that fits your space.
- Determine if it’s a heavy traffic area and the amount of lighting you have.
- The most ideal way for selecting is the Floor-to-Furniture approach (Start with a Rug and then pick the color of the furniture).
The Oriental Rug Palace will be delighted to do the leg work and shall have the options ready for you if you email them or bring the photos of your room and furniture or you can even call them prior to your visit.
How to handle pets and handmade rugs? 3
Area rugs of intrinsic value such as oriental and other handmade rugs (usually made of wool or silk), can be successfully deodorized, cleaned, and repaired by a professional such as Oriental Rug Palace (ORP).
Urine stains can be caused by pigments in the urine that can destabilize dyes thereby causing the dye fade. Any urine that is allowed to accumulate for a longer time can cause a condition known as dry rot (discoloration). This makes it harder to clean or remove the spots effectively. It is highly recommended to act immediately and blot the stained area with cold water and an absorbent cloth.
It is highly recommended to avoid the following types of area rugs if you have pets at home:
- Tufted Rugs: Tufted rugs are the ones which are glued on the back and it is highly essential to avoid them under all circumstances. In these type of rugs, the pile is generally tufted by hand or a machine onto a foundation. The adhesive material (glue) is then used to hold a backing material to the foundation of the rug. Urine and other liquids can go through to the glue that holds the backing onto the rug and cannot be removed effectively by any method.
- Viscose Rugs: Viscose (artificial silk, rayon) area rugs are to be avoided since viscose is a man-made fiber constructed to appear like silk. These rugs are neither durable nor easily cleanable thereby making it a bad choice for home with pets.
Here are few quick tips that can help you minimize the extent of damages:
- Always blot up liquid spills as soon as possible.
- Avoid chemical cleaning compounds as these can be coarse on the surface of the pile and cause the rug to lose its color.
- Never scrub the rug as this can destroy its sheen.
- Avoid keeping the food or drinks nearby the Rug and place an easily cleanable mat under the food and water utensils.
- Place walk-off mats at the entrance and exit of the doors that your pets often use.
FLOWER POT ON HANDMADE RUGS? 4
Do you have a flower pot sitting on your Rug?
If your answer is YES, then it is definitely a major concern that requires your instant attention!
Placing flower pots on your rug and watering it daily can deteriorate it to a greater extent.
Alas..!! Isn’t it devastating to see your expensive rug like this just because of placing a flower pot on it?! Don’t worry! We can fix it!!
Handmade rugs are very beautiful and they involve a lot of manual effort as they would be crafted with perfection which makes them look sophisticated and luxurious. There are numerous types of fabric used in this process.
Placing the flower pot on any handmade rug and watering them on a regular basis makes the rug soggy and that eventually rots it. The above picture illustrates the damage caused due to a flower pot. The fibres are undoubtedly durable but they cannot withstand these kind of extremities.
The Oriental Rug Palace (ORP) has been doing a pioneering restoration for these damages since 30 years.
Here’s how the mystical restoration is done at the ORP!
Step 1: The damaged part is removed in the squared pattern.
Step 2: This void is then filled with the fabric material which is exactly identical to that of the Rug. It is sewed by hand.
Step 3: The design on the pattern is drawn by hand.
Step 4: This pattern in the void is later dyed with the color ensuring that it is in close contrast to that of the rug.
If you compare the damaged picture with that of the last stage’s picture, the result is incredibly stunning!
Thus, getting the rug repaired at the ORP is a sheer delight. They can fix every flaw irrespective of the severity of the damage!